Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Interim Belts are No Fun... but Why Not?







So I was thinking last night as I usually do when struggling with the Sandman, and a thought came to me.  Miraculous, I know.  So here it is:

Why doesn't King Dana stretch out this whole Brock title defense fiasco??  I know that it isn't normal for a current champ to fight in a non-title fight, but since when is Dana conventional?

Here is what I think should happen because unfortunately, Brock always brings tons of PPV buys:

Brock "The Toolbox" Lesnar should come back in July as planned and Dana could bill it as

"Brock is Back"
Brock returns from his battle with death to face the winner of the Big Nog/ Velasquez fight.  Does he still have what it takes to dominate the heavyweight divison?? 
::I can see Dana rolling in the dough now::

Followed By a Title Defense in December:

"Brock is Back: Part Two"
Brock Won: Brock proved to us all that he has recovered from his "mystery illness" and was able to train and come back strong as ever.  He is now ready to face the Mir/Carwin winner.
(::cough::Carwin::cough::)
Brock Lost: Brock was unsuccessful in his post-illness debut, but let's chalk it up to Ring Rust, it affects the best of the best.  He was able to have a stronger training camp, and will come back a new and improved fighter.


Yes, I understand there are loopholes in my thinking (as there usually are, and as Josh was more than willing to point out-- Boo You for not agreeing with me) but I think King Dana would be able to make a lot of money if he listened to this idea. 
I mean, after Mir was out for 14 months they stripped him of his title and didnt' give him a title shot until 6 fights after his return.
So basically, Brock will have been out for 12 months, just 2 months shy of when they stripped Mir of his title, and that of course, is assuming he actually returns in July.

Ideally, they should strip Lesnar of his title and put it up for Grabs on March 27th, that way we could avoid the whole "interim title" bologna.  But since I know Dana won't do that to his cash cow, I don't think he should be able to defend his title right away either. 

In the end I guess it doesn't matter too much though, becuase when "The Toolbox" faces "The Engineer" we will be left wondering only one thing:

Does the UFC have a good return policy on used Toolboxes?

No comments:

Post a Comment